By Justina Gregory
- Comprises 31 unique essays by means of a global solid of individuals, together with up-and-coming in addition to wonderful senior scholars
- Pays realization to socio-political, textual, and function elements of Greek tragedy
- All old Greek is transliterated and translated, and technical phrases are defined as they appear
- Includes feedback for additional examining on the finish of every bankruptcy, and a beneficiant and informative mixed bibliography
Read Online or Download A Companion to Greek Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Authors, Audiences, and previous English Verse re-examines the Anglo-Saxon poetic culture from the 8th to the 11th centuries and reconsiders the importance of formulaic parallels and the character of poetic authorship in outdated English. supplying a brand new imaginative and prescient of a lot of outdated English literary historical past, Thomas A.
The magical technological know-how of the Soul explores the unexamined impression of medieval discourses of technological know-how and spirituality on recogimiento, the original Spanish style of recollection mysticism that served because the motive force in the back of the critical advancements in Golden Age mysticism. development on fresh study in medieval optics, body structure, and reminiscence relating to the devotional practices of the past due heart a while, Jessica A.
Poetry and id in Quattrocento Naples methods poems as acts of cultural identification and investigates how a bunch of authors used poetry to strengthen a poetic sort, whereas additionally exhibiting their place towards the tradition of others. ranging from an research of Giovanni Pontano’s Parthenopeus and De amore coniugali, via a dialogue of Jacopo Sannazaro’s Arcadia, Matteo Soranzo hyperlinks the genesis and issues of those texts to the social, political and highbrow vicissitudes of Naples below the domination of Kings Alfonso and Ferrante.
Horace's Epodes rank one of the so much under-valued texts of the early Roman principate. Abrasive common and riddled with obvious inconsistencies, the Epodes have divided critics from the outset, infuriating and delighting them in equivalent degree. This number of essays at the Epodes by means of new and verified students seeks to overturn this work's ill-famed attractiveness and to reassert its position as a legitimate and valued member of Horace's literarycorpus.
- Medieval Islamic Republic of Letters, The: Arabic Knowledge Construction
- Classical Constructions: Papers in Memory of Don Fowler, Classicist and Epicurean
- Roman Literary Culture, second edition (Ancient Society and History)
- Dante's Two Beloveds: Ethics and Erotics in the "Divine Comedy"
- The Lost Plays of Greek Tragedy (Volume 1): Neglected Authors
- Catullus, Cicero, and a Society of Patrons: The Generation of the Text
Additional resources for A Companion to Greek Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Greek Tragedy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Justina Gregory