By David Seed
- This Companion conveys the dimensions and diversity of technology fiction.
- Shows how technology fiction has been used as a method of debating cultural issues.
- Essays by way of a world diversity of students speak about the contexts, subject matters and techniques utilized by technological know-how fiction writers.
- Addresses basic issues, reminiscent of the historical past and origins of the style, its engagement with technology and gender, and nationwide adaptations of technological know-how fiction round the English-speaking world.
- Maps out connections among technology fiction, tv, the cinema, digital truth know-how, and different facets of the culture.
- Includes a bit concentrating on significant figures, comparable to H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, and Ursula Le Guin.
- Offers shut readings of specific novels, from Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein to Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale.
Read or Download A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Chinese language ladies Writers and the Feminist mind's eye, 1905-1948 presents a compelling learn of major ladies writers in glossy China, charting their literary works and lifestyles trips to check the politics and poetics of chinese language transcultural feminism that exceed the limits of bourgeois feminist selfhood.
In lots of components of Appalachia, kin ties run deep, constituting a huge a part of an individual’s feel of self. in certain cases, while Appalachian novices search new kinds of wisdom, these relations ties will be challenged by means of the accusation that they've gotten above their raisings, a cost which can have a long-lasting impression on family members and neighborhood attractiveness.
Linking Willa Cather to “the smooth” or “modernism” nonetheless turns out an eccentric proposition to a few humans. Born in 1873, Cather felt tied to the earlier while she witnessed the emergence of twentieth-century glossy tradition, and the fresh, classical sentences in her fiction distinction starkly with the noticeably experimental prose of widespread modernists.
Oxford methods to Classical Literature (Series Editors: Kathleen Coleman and Richard Rutherford) introduces person works of Greek and Latin literature to readers who're drawing close them for the 1st time. each one quantity units the paintings in its literary and old context, and goals to supply a balanced and interesting evaluate of its content material, artistry, and goal.
- Sin and Evil: Moral Values in Literature
- A Companion to the Etruscans (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- Tame Passions of Wilde: The Styles of Manageable Desire
- The Lights of Home: A Century of Latin American Writers in Paris
- Benjamin's Library: Modernity, Nation, and the Baroque (Signale: Modern German Letters, Cultures, and Thought)
- The Annotated Anne of Green Gables
Additional resources for A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Science Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by David Seed